Things Smart People Won’t Say – That’s YOU
A couple of years ago, I read Dr. Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves book Emotional Intelligence 2.0.
Dr. Bradberry recently posted a worthy article that reflects on his studies.
Here’s a list of the things he says smart people never say.
• It’s not fair
• This is the way it’s always been done
• No Problem
• I think / This may be a silly idea / I’m going to ask a stupid question
• This will only take a minute
• I’ll try
• He or she is lazy, incompetent, or a jerk
• That’s not in my job description
• It’s not my fault
• I can’t
• I hate this job
Dr. Bradberry says (and I agree) that eliminating these phrases from your vocabulary will pay dividends. They have a tendency to sneak up on you, so you’re going to have to catch yourself until you’ve solidified the habit of not saying them…………..ever!
If you’re interested in more detail, take a look at Dr. Bradberry’s recent LinkedIn post.