We All Need Help Sometimes
We all need help sometimes.
Recruiting stellar assistants and staff take a well thought out strategy.
Here are 5 tips to help you in your time of need.
1. Choose based on attitude. You can always teach the skills. (Herb Kelleher said it first but I wish I had!)
2. Don’t be overly impressed with that stellar resume’ – Improve your chances of a successful decision by giving them a task that meets the job rather than making a decision based on their story. The best way to know if someone can actually fix something is to give something to fix. Need marketing assistance………have them write a marketing script or design a flyer. In my first big teenage job, the owners of a music store paid me for 3 hours to reorganize a storage room. When they saw my completed work, they hired me on the spot. I discovered sometime later that they had given a similar responsibility to 3 other applicants before me. It didn’t work out as well for them.
3. If it’s a long term gig, find someone with strengths you don’t have – Spend time interviewing people that are smarter or more talented than you in the areas you are weak.
4. Take your time and don’t let your emotions take over – The worst time to hire is when you’re under pressure to meet a challenging deadline. Begin now, while you have the time to make a really good non emotional decision. Of course, if you’re already under pressure, slow down and think it through (maybe even call on a Higher Power – you get to decide who that is!)
5. Have a plan – Write down 3 to 5 reasons you really need help and 3 to 5 things you will accomplish at a higher level with the right help. It’s stressful to hire. Don’t waste time hiring if you’re not really committed to the process or the benefits.
5.5 Be positive. Stay positive. Things work when you expect them too.
There are a lot more issues we could discuss, but considering these 5.5 will lead you down the right path. Hope they help you in your time of need. It’s always my priority to help you succeed.
Smiles, have a great week, and Keep on Seeking………………..Mark