When the market is tight, membership is down in your organization and those you have left are demanding and you’re stressed to the max, remember that with the right help and a willing leadership team you can survive the times and right the ship. In fact, with some vision, organization, and creativity, you can not only survive, but return leaner and stronger. With that in mind, here are 5 tips for improving the Culture in your organization:
1. There are only two ways to influence human behavior.You can manipulate it or inspire it. Make sure you have leaders and staff on your team that inspire the troops at every meeting. Help them think big and encourage creativity.
2. Leadership is the ability to rally people not for a single event, but for years. Make sure you have the right people on the bus and the right person in charge of each team or committee.
3. Every organization knows what they do. Every organization can figure out how they’re going to do it. Most organizations (or people for that matter) never take the time to figure out “why” they are doing it! People don’t buy what you do, they buy “why” you are doing it. Figure out your “why”, and the what and how become easier.
4. Herb Kelleher of Southwest Airlines once said:“You don’t hire for skills, you hire for attitude, you can always teach skills”. The same goes for electing the executive committee or hiring your staff. So the key is to make sure you have people in place that believe in what the organization believes. If they are not a good match, help them find the door.
5. Take care of your people and they take care of your business! Enough said.
I’m always available to discuss ideas, challenges, or issues that you are facing. Thanks a million for allowing me to serve in the past and please call on me anytime I can be of service in the future……Mark
My new book “Finding My Why, Ernie’s Journey…..A Tale for Seekers” co written with Don Greeson is now available on Amazon. Check it out!
Mark Given Seminars, LLC