Most everybody seems to enjoy a good story…I bet you do too?
I know I do…especially when the story is told well.
Somewhere recently, I even read that storytelling has earned its place as one of the most important traditions humans possess…I think that might be true.
We use stories to make sense of the world and to share that understanding with others.
Stories are the signal within all the noise and a good story is about something someone sees as interesting or important and it adds value to most any topic.
I LOVE telling stories and I use them every week in all my presentations.
So…here are my 7 Best Tips for Storytelling Success;
1. Make sure you know your audience before you tell that story
2. Be authentic – don’t tell someone else’s story (that’s called plagiarism and you’ll mess it up anyway!)
3. Be sparing with embellishments (but they CAN make the story better or funnier!)
4. Using big words won’t make you look smarter (in fact, it can make you appear arrogant)
5. If an 8 yr old can understand your story…you told it right
6. It’s just a conversation with lots of physical animation (unless it’s a sad story, more animation is better!)
7. Think it through BEFORE you tell it (good stories don’t offend people).
There you go…these may not be everything you need to know to become a famous storyteller, but they will take you a lot closer to storytelling stardom within your circle!
Smiles, have a GREAT week and Keep Building TRUST...Mark